McGregor moves to UFC
CAGE WARRIORS history-maker Conor McGregor has signed a five-fight deal with the Ultimate Fighting Championship and will make his debut for the organisation at UFC on Fuel TV 9 on April 6 in Stockholm, Sweden.
McGregor (12-2) became the first fighter to simultaneously hold CWFC titles in two unified weight classes when he stopped Ivan Buchinger with a stunning first-round KO to win the vacant lightweight belt at Cage Warriors 51 in Dublin on New Year’s Eve.
Back in June, the 24-year-old Irishman captured the featherweight strap courtesy of a second-round submission win over Dave Hill at Cage Warriors 47 – also in his hometown of Dublin.
McGregor clocked up a 4-1 record under the Cage Warriors banner, having also defeated Aron Jahnsen and Steve O’Keeffe. Following a debut CWFC loss to Joseph Duffy in November 2010, McGregor is currently on an eight-fight win streak.
“Conor is destined for the top so an approach from the UFC was inevitable. He fully deserves this opportunity and I’m excited about seeing the impact he’s going to have there,” said Cage Warriors CEO Graham Boylan.
“I’m absolutely delighted for Conor and his team and I wish them the very best of luck for what I’m certain will be a hugely successful future. This is also further proof that if you’re interested in getting to the top in this sport, Cage Warriors is the platform for you.”
McGregor trains out of the SBG camp in Dublin alongside the likes of ex-CWFC middleweight champion Chris Fields and welterweight challenger Cathal Pendred, as well as at Mjolnir in Iceland with fellow UFC competitor Gunnar Nelson.
Coach John Kavanagh said: “I want to say a big thank you on behalf of myself and Conor to Graham Boylan, Ian Dean and the rest of the team at Cage Warriors. Without their help and support this would not have come about. Getting a Cage Warriors belt is a sure way of securing a UFC deal.”
With McGregor now signed to the UFC, the CWFC featherweight and lightweight belts will be up for grabs once again, with Graham Boylan confirming that Jim Alers will get his shot at the 145lbs strap.
Alers had been due to face McGregor for the title at Cage Warriors 51 but was forced out of the bout due to injury. Nevertheless, the 26-year-old American remains the top contender in the division.
“Jim is still at the head of the queue at featherweight so he’ll definitely be getting the shot he’s earned,” said Boylan. “I’m currently considering a number of potential opponents. I’ll also announce plans for our lightweight division shortly.”
Photo: Dolly Clew | Cage Warriors
Search Videos & Photos
Cage Warriors 72: Review
Event: Cage Warriors 72
Venue: Newport Centre, Newport, Wales
Cage Warriors 71: Review
Event: Cage Warriors 71
Venue: King Hussein Boxing Arena, Amman, Jordan